I'm thrilled to be participating in this Linky Party and sharing 5 things you may not know about me. Huge thanks to Jessica Cassidy from The Speech Space for hosting! I'm looking forward to hopping around and discovering a few new things about some of my favorite SLP bloggers too.
As for me here goes:
1. Before I was a Speech Language Pathologist, I was an ABA therapist. For 3 years I served families of young children newly diagnosed with autism through in-home behavior therapy. I enjoyed finding ways to incorporate play into my sessions and collaborating with parents and other professionals. And of course nothing beat the acquisition of those first words! To this day I'm still passionate about early intervention and still elated watching one of my students master a new concept. Isn't this just the best?
2. I love learning new sports. From horse back riding to pole vault, I've always embraced the challenge of a new physical endeavor. When I was eleven I even decided to teach myself the very useful skill of unicycle riding. Mountain biking is my latest obsession. My brother took me on my first ride and I'm hooked.
3. The Star Spangled Banner makes me cry. Growing up in a military family has made me unusually patriotic. The service men and women who risk their lives to protect our freedom will always be my heroes. Hearing the national anthem before a race or Giants game is a reminder to me of all the hard fought liberties I take for granted and it just gets me.
4. I can think of no better job than helping a child communicate. Even though I'm finding this year extremely stressful, I still couldn't imagine doing anything else. Working with a variety of populations and wide a range of needs keeps me on my toes! I could do without the paperwork but otherwise relish every aspect of our field from assessment to treatment to collaborating with teachers (my other heroes).
5. I recently became an aunt! I can't wait to spend the week of Thanksgiving getting to know this little one:
Thanks for checking out my blog! Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday:)